Agongue/Port Novo Diocese: Do Our Leaders Act What They Preach?

April 1, 2017 / Alonge Michael / Uncategorized / 6 Comments »

Celestial Church leaders will not cease to amaze one. As usual The leadership of the church are quick at campaigning all over the place that Celestial Church should come as one. That every member should sheath his or her sword and fight for common interest for the sake of the Platinum Jubilee celebration but it amazes me when they talk and refuse to act…. Hence the popular saying…”Practice What You Preach”

At least seeking the total Unification of The Celestial Church of Christ should be the duty of every dedicated Celestial Church members, that’s what supposedly faction of the church has been campaign for but the last annual Agongue Convention held a couple of weeks back has revealed that no one is ready to accept the oneness of the church. How?

Authority at Ketu left Lagos for Agongue in Ajase and upon their arrival they failed to pay homage to the church established by the founder of The Celestial Church of Christ, Rev. Samuel Bilewu Oshoffa. They passed the Ancient Parish, Portnovo Diocese and went straight to Agongue for the convention and came back to Nigeria.

The people at Port novo didn’t go neither the people at Ketu extended any hand of fellowship to them. What are the implications of such insensitive behaviour towards the stool Papa Oshoffa left behind at the Portnovo and Lagos? It shows uncoordinated leadership, it shows lack of knowledge of our leaders? It shows something is wrong somewhere…

Politics and lust for earthly possessions have bedeviled the scared and spiritual Celestial Church of Christ. Beloved Brethren in Christ let us always think and ask ourselves why we are members of this great church. What is our aim and purpose of being in this great fold?

What are our aspirations for the growth of the church? How have we won souls for Christ through the church platform? Is Celestial Church of Christ meant to be a family business kind of or truly the Last Boat of Salvation? Halleluyah!!!

-Emem Ojo

6 responses to “Agongue/Port Novo Diocese: Do Our Leaders Act What They Preach?”

1. Adeogun says:

Lol. The writer is obviously a kid wgo knows no history. You do not even qualify to write this because you are obviously not in the know.Well for your benefit, the history is Agbaossi who was heading the Port Novo church at the time of Oshoffa’s exit failed to submit to his senior, Abiodun Bada. It was easy for him to take Port Novo diocese with him. Nationalist feelings ran high. Port Novo believes Oshoffa should have been buried in their land but it was a lost battle. Since 1976 Oshoffa had moved fully to Lagos after much persecution by the communist orientes Bennonise government of the time. His heart apparently shifted to Nigeria as his historical roots in Abeokuta and Imeko was unearthed. The church grew faster and had more prospect in Nigeria too. Oshoffa may have feared the outcome if he moved the headquarters to Nigeria but he stylishly did- named Ketu the HQ and Bada the Supreme, a unique position which he never duplicated. As if this was not enough he declared Imeko and not Seme will be the place of annual prilgimage. He may have hoped his lieutenants will do the math when he dies. Only mischief makers would fail to see the handwritting on the wall. Port Novo lost Oshoffa forever. It was a bitter news he may have been too afraid to break to them.

2. Tope says:

Alonge’s submission is extremely naive and sophomoric, one wonders if he understands Celestial Church at all. Benin And Nigerian diocese is divided over very fundamental issue that simple unification strategies cannot solve. At some point, in God’s appointed time, unification will be possible but paying homage to a parallel authority is not unification. It is aboard. I am worried for the intelligence quotient of Mr. Alonge.

3. Olufunmi says:

Hummmmm, this is serious oh

4. Olumide says:

There no money to embessle in the church of papa at port novo so you can’t see any focus on the place that is just the simple truth. Let something that will bring money be attached to the parish then you will see thousands of thief in white garment interest .

5. Sup Evangelist (Barrister) Olawole Famakinwa says:

I attended Agange 2017 and I am trying to see if I can recollect the events mentioned here.
    1. We arrived Porto Novo on the Friday and there was a music revival that evening. Well attended. Sup Evangelist Adetiran, the Central Choir and a host of others kept us entertained all night.
    2. On Saturday there was a service in the Church. The sermon was delivered by Assistant Venerable Superior Evangelist Ajose. His Eminence the Pastor was in attendance. I had breakfast at the residence of Superior Evangelist Canon, Head of Diocese Ivory Coast in Porto Novo.
    3. After the service I drove to Agange ahead of the Pastors convoy. The Central Choir which performed Friday’ night and Saturday morning are human beings and did not arrive with their musical early enough to support the powerful revival that went on all night till Sunday morning. Apart from physical fatigue there was lack of payment for transport for musical instruments to Agonge I was reliably informed.
    4. On Sunday there was the service which I attended. His Eminence the Pastor delivered a powerful sermon. I left during the thanksgiving as I needed to return to Ibadan Nigeria at a decent time.
    OBSERVATIONS:
    1. I left from Ketu and I already had a Pass on my wi screen. There was no co-ordinated assembly at the Seme Border to ease passage for those without a Pass. Superior Evangelist Ayo Shonekan of the Pastors Office was at the Border and I noted that
    he had no vehicle of his own. He was having to practically stand in the road to rally pilgrims together. God bless him. Amen.
    2. At Porto Novo I saw thousands of people sleeping by the sides of the road in the open air through the night from Friday to Saturday morning. When Parishes collected N3000.00 from their Parishioners in Nigeria is it so that they could be dumped on the roadside without food or lodgings. We are proud Nigerians and we would never sleep on the roadside in our own country. Our host were literally looking down on us as men and women with homes in Nigeria slept on the floor like beggars and InternallyDisplaced Persons. I had a car and I drive to a hotel where I paid for myself and co travelers. Churches should plan ahead. There was food but you needed to know how to access it.
    3. Sanitation was very basic and not adequate. Bathing facilities and breakfast was available on Saturday morning. However, those in charge of the food were behaving as if it was private property and that they were being generous in giving food to their friends and associates. I was hosted by the HOD of Côte d’Ivoire for breakfast.
    4. At Agange the same scenario played out about food and accommodation. Since it is a pilgrimage I do not worry about the lack of proper accommodation. I bought food for my guests though I had access to the hospitality tent provided by
    Baba Ogunremi and his lovely wife.
    5. On Sunday I noticed a near absence of a delegation from Pastor Adeogun. I noticed one man wearing the trademark brown cassock of the Most Senior Evangelist rank.
    5. Since there appeared to be no effective and visible planning and real time coordination of events, timing was non existent. The Sunday sermon was too long without a thought for those who needed to return to Lagos and other distant parts of Nigeria.
    Finally, in 2097 the church announced that it worse be issuing a certificate of Agange Pilgrim to anyone who came to Agange. Similar to Jerusalem Pilgrim JP. It was announced BT the then BOT Secretary MVSE AFOLAHAN. I was the interpreter on the day for the announcement in Agange. What happened to this viable source of income for the Church. It could help to develop Agange. We have good ideas but it does on the implementation table due to lack of foresidihht and selfishness.

6. Superior Evangelist Alphonsus Aihonsu says:

Hhhhhhmmmmm
    Brother/ Father in the Lord Emmen Ojo, Iam in total support of your submission. This is in line with tge very first song/hymn given to us in CCC ‘Eyin ara ninu Kristi….’
    This parish if Iam not mistaking is directly in front of Papa’s house in Porto Novo. On the church compound is to be found some Eminencies buried including EMF’s mother. I can authoritatively tell you that the parish is ‘neglected’ by both Ketu and Benin factions of the church- leadership tussle’. How on earth should such a parish fall short of N40k to arrange musical instruments during the last harvest?
    Not until everybody accept and assume his/her spiritual position before Papa’s demise, I doubt if anything good can come out of the advertised “oneness”