This should serve as a strong warning to some of us who are fond of lighting our candle for prayers and sleep off thereafter, what happened to this woman is recorded to be the most tragic death which I pray it won’t be our portion in Jesus name. Amen.
A devoted church member who is renowned for her Christian teachings and preaching in her town, reportedly died after spending quality time decorating the church altar.
Daily Sun SA reports that Jeanette spent an entire Friday decorating an altar for a funeral service to be held on Saturday.
However, the woman from Mohlakeng, Randfontein, west of Joburg, South Africa, died before she could attend the service.
The 58-year-old had reportedly said her early morning prayers on Saturday morning. As she is a Roman Catholic, she lit a candle next to her rosaries and the Bible.
But then neighbours were woken by flames coming from Jeanette’s bedroom. Jeanette died in the fire in her bedroom.
“My aunt devoted her life to the church,” said her niece, Otilia Motene, 38.
According to Daily Sun SA, Jeanette’s daughter, Nana Marema revealed that her mum woke up at midnight every night to pray with a bright candle, and then prayed later when she woke up.
“It looks as if she had finished praying and went back to sleep. Perhaps the candle caught the curtain and the smoke made her dizzy,” said Nana.
She said she will always remember her mother’s Bible teachings.
Neighbours used water to put out the fire. Firefighters arrived but it was too late for Jeanette.
Jeanette’s elder sister, Manku Tlhagane-Mokgoka, 72, said her sister took religion very seriously.
“She was a lovely, kind, happy person. We will miss her.”
Father Nkosinathi Nkabinde added: “It was a sad day seeing God’s child lying dead. May the spirit of the Lord be with her.”
Randfontein police spokeswoman Captain Appel Ernst confirmed the incident.
“We have opened an inquest docket and are still investigating.” she said.